[gmx-users] Re: Counterions: influence on protein dynamics.

Maxim Fedorov maxim.fedorov at ucd.ie
Wed Mar 1 00:26:36 CET 2006

Dear Tsjerk
> Maxim,
>
> I'd guess that you're polylysine doesn't come charged without
> having any
> counterions in experiment.
Indeed, but if we are using classical non-polarisable FF
 we already thrown off effects of protonation/deprotonation, charge
transfer etc,
do we?

In the experiments, you're probably
> dealing with
> hydroxide ions (and an additional amount of hydronium ions). I'd
> say these
> will also influence the experimental findings. Therefore, there's
> more sense
> in adding counterions, maybe even positive and negative,
This is exactly the point - when I added MORE ions - the system
behaves better.
It leads to a bit higher salt concentration than it is in experiment,
but
after all this discussion I realized that it is better way than
constraining the ions.

> there is in
> creating a weird unphysical system.
>
> Have you also considered that not all of your lysines need to be
> protonatedat pH=7?
You'd actually want a constant-pH simulation
> with dynamic exchange
> of proteins. But that's one bridge too far at present :)
This is exactly what I want - but I guess I complete this project
before I will have a chance to use it :-)
Many thanks,
Maxim