[gmx-users] 32 bit dual core or 64 bit single core?

Yang Ye leafyoung81-group at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 10 17:36:36 CET 2006

You are comparing two different platform with different CPU and
architecture, so it is hard to make a direct statement. You need to test
it out by you.

If comparing same CPU, running both 32bit and 64bit (in the case of AMD
64bit as well as Intel CPUs with 64bit EMT), they are almost the same,
because as previously stated, SSE/SSE2 is almost not affected. Eric has
a post before regarding AMD's 64bit opteron, "not so much". But, to
date, (dual-core) Opteron is still the best cost effective
configuration. I do think Intel's 2006Q3's offer of Conroe-based CPU
will be something better but AMD may have some new that time.

Yang Ye