[gmx-users] disabling assembly loops

Senthil Kandasamy senthilk at umich.edu
Wed Mar 15 17:25:00 CET 2006

Hi,

I am trying to compile gromacs on a mac with the new intel dual core
processors.
I am running into trouble with the assembly loops during ./configure

checking whether your compiler can handle assembly files (*.s)... yes
checking whether as understands 'lock cmpxchg'... no
configure: error: Upgrade to binutils >= 2.12.1 (or disable assembly
loops).

as -v reveals

[15] [11:16am] [senthilk] ~/local/gromacs-3.3 ---> as -v
Apple Computer, Inc. version cctools-590.23.2.obj~17, GNU assembler
version 1.38

I do not really care for assembly loops since I do not plan to use
this machine for production. Just for simulation setup (grompp etc)
and some analysis.

I am not sure which flag I am supposed to use for disabling assembly
loops. I tried a few options like --disable-asm ,  --disable-sse , --
disable-x86-sse , etc. but none of them seems to work.

Can anybody suggest how to get this thing compiled please ?

Thanks in advance

Senthil Kandasamy