[gmx-users] compiling on fedora

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Mar 21 05:42:15 CET 2006

Joanne Hanna wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can anyone please help! I have been trying to compile gmx 3.1.4 on pcs running fedora core 3 and 4 however I get a range of warnings during the make stage.

Unless you absolutely need back-compatibility of gromacs version for
some reason, you'd be well advised to get a more recent version of
gromacs. 3.2.x and 3.3 will compile out-of-the-box on FC4. My guess is
the kinds of warnings you are seeing are the result of differences in
gcc's treatments of these warning-level problems in this older gromacs
code. I have no experience with 3.1.4, however. gcc can be configured to
suppress all warnings, or specific warnings, but you'd have to look at
the documentation for how to do that. The sorts of warnings you cite are
suggestive of a compiler implementing a more rigorous level of checking
than the coder anticipated.

> For fedora 4 the warnings are;
> pme.c: In function 'solve_pme':
> pme.c:306: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
> pppm.c: In function 'convolution':
> pppm.c:380: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
> topio.c: In function ?do_top?:
> topio.c:275: warning: ?comb? may be used uninitialized in this function
> topio.c:597: warning: ?combination_rule? may be used uninitialized in this function
> genhydro.c: In function ?add_h?:
> genhydro.c:284: warning: ?jj? may be used uninitialized in this function

<snip>

various 3.3 versions on my FC4 running gcc 4.0.1. You can work around
them in the same way, but I find their existence weird.