[gmx-users] Highest possible temperature in NPT?

pascal.baillod at epfl.ch pascal.baillod at epfl.ch
Tue May 2 16:39:57 CEST 2006

Dear community,

I am trying to perform some wild REMD tests, and see the effect of very high
temperature on a solvated 100-residue protein.. ("hottest" replica temperatures
of 500-1000K). So far, the simulations would crash whenever using the NPT
ensemble.. temperatures would remain correct but the volumes would grow too
big. In NVT, I can apparently go as high in temperature as I wish. I suppose I
could get it to work for NPT as well, provided a massive increase of the tau_p
pressure time coupling constant. I found no info on that in the mailing list
and was wondering if anybody has experience on

a) How much can I increase tau_p without getting too unphysical (under the
assumption there is still anything physical at >500K!)? I read that the
important thing is to conserve the compressibility/tau_p ratio.. should I
change tau_p AND compressibility values for higher temperatures?

b) Which, of the Berendsen and Parinello-Rahman barostats, would be more suited
for such high temperaure NPT simulations?

Thank you very much for your help!!

Pascal

Pascal Baillod (PhD student)
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology EPFL	        Tel: +41-(0)21-693-0322
Institute of Chemical Sciences and Engineering ,	Fax: +41-(0)21-693-0320
Laboratory of Computational Chemistry and Biochemistry	pascal.baillod at epfl.ch
Room BCH 4121, Avenue Forel,	                        http://lcbcpc21.epfl.ch
CH-1015 Lausanne