[gmx-users] Info on the "Ellipticity at 222 nm" provided by g_helix

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed May 3 14:25:38 CEST 2006

Afonso Duarte wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am a newbie using GROMACS and I am just going throu my first sims. I
> have one question regarding the output of g_helix. Using this command
> get a value for the "Ellipticity at 222 nm according to Hirst and
> Brooks" however this value is in nm (per time frame) and for 100%
> a-helices it shows positive values (instead of the typical negative values.
> I have read the paper from Hirst and Brooks, however I don understant
> how can one correlate the values from GROMACS with experimental
> ellipticity (values in mdeg and more negative when the helical content
> increases)
>
> PS: I found a similar question in this newsletter, however there was no
> reply...
Check the routine ellipticity in src/tools/hxprops.c
Right now what is plotted is the number of helical residues. There is
also a magic number w in the data. If you have the Hirst and Brooks
paper handy I'm sure you can fix the routine. Please send me back the
corrected code.

> Thanks
>
> Afonso

> Abra sua conta no Yahoo! Mail
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/br/tagline/mail/*http://br.info.mail.yahoo.com/>
> - 1GB de espaço, alertas de e-mail no celular e anti-spam realmente eficaz.

David.
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755