[gmx-users] afm pulling and comm_mode

Marta Murcia mam2070 at med.cornell.edu
Thu May 11 17:38:00 CEST 2006

Hi again,
I pretty much went about the setting up of afm pulling calculations.
Still I am a little bit concern about the results. When using gmx3.2.1
and applying a Linear removal of the center of mass (i.e. translation) I
see the cell unit still moving during the simulation in a direction
that, looks to me, is opposite to the force I am applying. In fact, when
the pulling rate is smaller, the move is not as dramatic. What am I
doing wrong? I have no note that with 3.3 this doesn't happen. Did
anyone experience something like that?
Any tip/suggestion will be greatly appreciated
Best

Marta Murcia wrote:

> Thanks Emily and Maik for your feed-back
> You both are right regarding the init vector. I happened to be the
> sign of it as Emily guessed. Changing the direction by doing
> xpull-xref, ypull -yref, zpull-zref  and not xref-xpull.....works
> fine.  Thanks for the offer on the script though.
> Thanks Emily for claryfing my confusion on the directional vector
> All the best
>
> Maik Goette wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> There seems to be something wrong with your init-vector.
>> Ich have written a small python script, which simply calculates the
>> vector for convenience purposes. You still need the pull- and
>> COM-group coordinates, though. But that shouldn't be a problem.
>> If you want it, I'll send it via mail.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Maik Goette, Dipl. Biol.
>> Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry
>> Theoretical & computational biophysics department
>> Am Fassberg 11
>> 37077 Goettingen
>> Germany
>> Tel.  : ++49 551 201 2310
>> Fax   : ++49 551 201 2302
>> Email : mgoette[at]mpi-bpc.mpg.de
>>         mgoette2[at]gwdg.de
>> WWW   : http://www.mpibpc.gwdg.de/groups/grubmueller/
>>

>> Marta Murcia wrote:
>>
>>> Emily,
>>> I just saw your answer
>>> Thanks a lot
>>>
>>> I just have another question about the unit vector describing the
>>> direction of pulling. Should it be always a unit vector (1 1 1 for
>>> example)? Should I asumme then that the direction of the pulling is
>>> the one specified by the init vector or could I used that same
>>> vector for example as afm_dir?
>>>
>>> Also, I don't know if I am doing something wrong but using afm_ini 1
>>> 1 1 and afm_dir as the vector that connects the two atoms I've
>>> chosen (the pulled and the ref) I am not able to get the spring and
>>> the pulled atom at the same coordinates at the beginning of pull.pdo
>>> file.
>>>
>>> # AFM   3.0
>>> # Component selection: 1 1 1
>>> # nSkip 1
>>> # Ref. Group 'm'
>>> # Nr. of pull groups 1
>>> # Group 1 'a_13586'  afmVec 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000  AfmRate
>>> 0.020000  AfmK 3000.000000
>>> #####
>>>
>>> 0.000000        3.713000        5.627000        5.181000
>>> 3.694000        3.732000        5.712000        5.542000
>>> 4.890000        5.472001
>>>
>>> I was able to get it, though, using absolute coordinates leaving the
>>> reference group blanck (using gromac 3.3 since in 3.2.1 there is a
>>> bug on absolute coordinates)
>>>
>>> #AFM   3.0
>>> # Component selection: 1 1 1
>>> # nSkip 1
>>> # Ref. Group ''
>>> # Nr. of pull groups 1
>>> # Group 1 'a_13586'  afmVec 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000  AfmRate
>>> 0.020000  AfmK 3000.000000
>>> #####
>>> 0.000000      0.000000        0.000000        0.000000
>>> 3.694000        3.694000        5.712000        5.712000