[gmx-users] TI and heavy H

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Tue May 16 18:29:36 CEST 2006

Luther,

> I actually thought I would switch off an atom`s charge and LJ interactions
> if I transform it into a dummy atom. Is this wrong?
> I am worried about the mass of the atom a heavy hydrogen is attached to.
> In an amino group with heavy hydrogens the mass of the nitrogen is
> decreased to about 8u since some of its mass is transferred to the
> hydrogens. If I want to make a hydroxyl group of the amino group in
> thermodynamic integration one of the hydrogens has to become a dummy atom.
> My question is whether I should decrease the mass of the oxygen as it is
> connected to the heavy dummy atom. I wouldn't decrease its mass if the
> dummy atom were derived from a normal hydrogen but what shall I do in the
> case of a heavy hydrogen? I am pretty sure that the decision will have an
> effect on momentum space and therefore the outcome of the thermodynamic
> integration.

I've never done anything with heavy hydrogens, but I think if you are
going to turn an amino group into a hydroxyl group, you want to end up
with a hydroxyl group that has the right mass, so this is something
that is right to be concerned about. I can't say anything too
definitive, but my advice is to make sure you end up with the right
end states, even if it involves changing masses. I think normally if
you involve some transformation which involves changing one atom type
into another with a different mass, you WILL have a d(Ekin)/dlambda
term which makes a contribution to the free energy of the
transformation.

David