[Bulk] [gmx-users] Archiving all the simulation data

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed May 17 09:25:13 CEST 2006

Yang Ye wrote:
> We recently go into some acquisition of cheap SATA-based online storage.
> It is still preferable to have online storage rather than DVD or tape.
> And price-wise, it is cheap now to have TB-level storage.

Indeed. Much depends on your needs and your wallet. We have a couple of
RAID arrays running Linux software RAID on debian, all of them in duplo,
i.e. one master array and one backup array. We've used the backups a
couple of times already.
More disks means more trouble, but it's by far the cheapest and fastest
solution.

> Regards,
> Yang Ye
>
> Dallas B. Warren wrote:
>
>> Not exactly specific GROMACS question, but looking for some insight for
>> those who are sure to be encountering the same issues.
>>
>> How are people now handling archiving the huge data files that are
>> produced when going to large simulation boxes for long periods of time?
>>
>> Until recently it has been find for me to put them onto DVDs, or may be
>> two or three.  But as the sims get bigger, that is getting to be a pain
>> to do.
>>
>> What are the options available?  Is there actually anything out there
>> that can archive things when you are looking at 20-50G of data files?
>> Or is the best option to just archive onto hard drives now?
>>
>> Catch ya,
>>
>> Dr. Dallas Warren
>> Lecturer
>> Department of Pharmaceutical Biology and Pharmacology
>> Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University
>> 381 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3010
>> dallas.warren at vcp.monash.edu.au
>> +61 3 9903 9524

David.
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755