[gmx-users] Benchs on gcc and pgi

Erik Lindahl lindahl at sbc.su.se
Wed May 17 10:56:56 CEST 2006

Hi,

> Anyone could tell me if this kind of behavior, of both PGI and acml
> use as external blas and lapack, is correct?

Normal simulations aren't using any linear algebra stuff at all. BLAS
& LAPACK are only useful when you do matrix stuff, for instance
normal mode analysis.

> P.S.: I was looking in the web site of the Folding @ Home that they
> are already trying AND getting some usefull results in making
> gromacs run on certain GPUs. I was wondering, if it become a
> reallity there, how long it would be expected to take to be
> available as a patch or for the official gromacs to compile? Those
> co-processors are like a dream for too much people in the field,
> and a GPU-Gromacs like the one they are developing would be a real
> jump in this subject! :D

GPUs aren't useful for general simulations yet, since
neighborsearching isn't working. We have good hopes for the future
though, and if/when it's working we'll of course include it.

Cheers,

Erik