[gmx-users] Archiving all the simulation data

Florian Haberl Florian.Haberl at chemie.uni-erlangen.de
Wed May 17 20:21:44 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 01:16, Dallas B. Warren wrote:
> Not exactly specific GROMACS question, but looking for some insight for
> those who are sure to be encountering the same issues.
>
> How are people now handling archiving the huge data files that are
> produced when going to large simulation boxes for long periods of time?
>
> Until recently it has been find for me to put them onto DVDs, or may be
> two or three.  But as the sims get bigger, that is getting to be a pain
> to do.
>
> What are the options available?  Is there actually anything out there
> that can archive things when you are looking at 20-50G of data files?
> Or is the best option to just archive onto hard drives now?

I still think that tape is the most secure and cheapiest solution. Of course
you should have some arrays of hard disks around for fast unzipping them
again but after finishing a project you should migrate the data to a cheaper
and more secure medium and this is still tape.

Modern tape systems can achieve 120mb/s and around 1tb space on each tape so
you don`t need to play tape jockey. if you need some old informations you can
easily transfer it back to faster medium in a real short time.

Pricing scale per gb with infrastructure (estimated):

scsi or faster  ~ 10 eu (datacentre structure)
sata                < 5-7 eu (NAS or SAN)
real low cost     ~  2 eu (normal sata raid controller + cheap hard disks)
tape                 < 1eu

Data will always take one step back after certain time ...

> Catch ya,
>
> Dr. Dallas Warren
> Lecturer
> Department of Pharmaceutical Biology and Pharmacology
> Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University
> 381 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3010
> dallas.warren at vcp.monash.edu.au
> +61 3 9903 9524

greetings,

Florian

 Florian Haberl
 Computer-Chemie-Centrum
 Universitaet Erlangen/ Nuernberg
 Naegelsbachstr 25
 D-91052 Erlangen
 Mailto: florian.haberl AT chemie.uni-erlangen.de