[gmx-users] About calculations of viscosity

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Thu May 18 08:59:42 CEST 2006

>From: "Zhao Lifeng" <zhaolf at sjtu.edu.cn>
>To: <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>Subject: [gmx-users] About calculations of viscosity
>Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 18:47:53 +0800
>
>Dear gmx-users,
>
>I¡¯m a new GMX user. I notice from either the user-manual or the references
>(Palmer, PRE 49 359, & B. Hess, JCP 116, 209, etc.) that there seem to be
>at least 3 methods available in Gromacs: Einstein relation, TCAF and
>periodic perturbation method. But I¡¯m not very clear about how to set the
>calculations and how to get the according viscosity values.
>
>My understanding is this:
>
>For Einstein relation calculations, there is no special setting in the
>md.mdp file, and the viscosity value is gotten by the visco.xvg file
>generated by ¡®g_energy ¨Cvis¡¯;
>
>For TCAF, also there is no special setting in the md.mdp file, and the
>viscosity value is gotten by fitting the data of visco_k.xvg file generated
>by ¡®g_tcaf¡¯;
>
>For the periodic perturbation method, two NEMD items, a ¡®accelerate¡¯
>value in X direction should be specified to all atoms and a
>¡®cos_acceleration¡¯ value should be given, and the viscosity value is
>gotten from the ¡®1/Viscosity(SI)¡¯ item of the ¡®g_energy¡¯ results.

For the first NEMD method you need to use the deform option, not accelerate.
Accelerating the whole system has no effect.

>I¡¯m eager for any instructions about techniques on the calculations and
>the value ranges.

I think you basically understood the methods.
You should choose the values such that you still have a linear response.
For the ranges you can have a look at the literature.
It is best to try different values and check when the response becomes
non-linear.

Berk.