[gmx-users] Beware of your interconnect hardware

Jason O'Young joyoung at uwo.ca
Tue May 23 19:02:19 CEST 2006

Hey All,

Not too long ago I posted about my problems with processes freezing
(just to refresh, I am running two dual-core nodes for a total of
four processes).

I managed to remedy the problem by removing the Dell PowerConnect
2708 Gigabit switch and replacing it with a simple crossover cable.
Ever since then, the system has been running rock solid.

Are there actually issues with switch hardware with Gromacs? I used
to think that these things were pretty much fool proof. I spent about
a month trying to fix what I perceived as a Linux issue.

That poses a question I have to all of you. Is there a particular
brand or model of switch you recommend? Eventually I would like to
add another node to the system!

Thanks,
Jason