[gmx-users] intel compiler + amd64: help needed.

Yang Ye leafyoung81-group at yahoo.com
Wed May 31 22:51:22 CEST 2006

Hi, Jones

I can understand your sentiment after seeing these texts from Mars. I
shared the same when I was trying aggressive optimization (with Gentoo
Linux, FYI) and later with whatever software. But don't keep trying such
as it is not worthy the efforts you put (knowing the intrinsics of
system is generally not a bad idea, but keeping do so is wast of time).
I have used (very recently) ICC's profiled optimization and in exchange,
I have got back 5% performance with two complete compilation and many
profiled runs. It still isn't worthy because you lost agility and
generality (building software like GROMACS can be just done with a
script) and has a potential of incorrect result. Speed or stability, for
science, you shall know the answer. I have vowed to myself that's my
last quest for optimization (though I still got a handful switches for
gcc now)

Use GCC, support GNU/FSF! (my little propaganda =)

Regards,
Yang Ye