[gmx-users] Re: Thanks a million!

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 13:58:02 CET 2006

Xiangyang Liu,

Although I'm very willing to help you in the sense that I'll try to
give you pointers to find the information you need or to try to track
where a certain mistake is, based on the knowledge I have of these
matters, I hope you do understand that I'm fully reluctant to do the
homework of someone else. Besides, if I fixed the stuff for you, you
wouldn't have learnt a thing and would have to ask someone else again
when facing the exact same problem.

That said, please note that generating a topology is not a trivial
matter. It's not something I can do in five minutes for a "new"
molecule. You have to decide which charges to use, which bonded
parameters (bonds, angles, dihedrals, improper dihedrals) and which
non-bonded parameters (atom types, pair interactions, exclusions).
Prodrg may make this seem easy, but then you still have to do some
work, in particular trying to convert the topology you get to one
which better fits the more modern force fields, such as Gromos 53a6
(ffG53a6*). However, if the properties of the molecule you want to use
in your simulation really matter to you, the parameters you get from
prodrg are likely to be insufficient. In that case, you will have to
do a proper parameterization: determine a charge distribution and
bonded/nonbonded/exclusion parameters which give you a good
correlation against experimentally determined parameters, such as the
free energy of solvation, etc.

I hope I have made myself clear and that this is of any use to you,

Tsjerk

--
Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.
post-doc