[gmx-users] QMMM gromacs/CPMD

Gerrit Groenhof g.groenhof at rug.nl
Fri Nov 3 22:08:06 CET 2006

(1) For QM/MM, even simple QM solute in a MM solvent, Lennard Jones
parameters are required to compute the Van der Waals interactions
between the QM and MM subsystems.
Thus one always needs to give the atoms types for the atoms in the QM
system.

A simple topology file will do, containing only the [ atoms ] section,
with the atoms of your QM solute. To avoid problems when the QM
subsystem moves over the boundary during a simulation, it is advisable
to define the bonds between the atoms as well, using bondtype 5 in the
[ bonds ] section. This bondtype does not have a function nor
parameters, but allows gromacs to make the molecule whole again before
every QM computation.

(2) You can try  prdrg.

(3) QM/MM Electrostatics inside CPMD are handled different from the
electrostatics in gromacs. The precise details I do not know. Maybe
Pradip Kumar Biswas can add something to this?

(4). Setting the cut-off to 0 means infinite cut-off, and works in
vacuum only. For pbc, use a finite cut-off and PME or ReactionField. I
suppose the example you are talking about concerns a minimization of
some QM/MM system in vacuo.

Best,

Gerrit