[gmx-users] Can I delete Mn^2+ ion from a protein molecule and then run MD?

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 09:32:06 CET 2006

Hi Zhongqiao Hu,

The question is, what is the role of the Mn2+ ion? If it is involved
in the structural stability of your protein, I think you should be
well able to answer the question 'Will this lead any consequences
making the MD results unacceptable?' yourself or find yourself another
research field (just kidding). I guess that the Mn2+ ion plays a role
in keeping your protein proper. Then the following question is, why
Mn2+? Is it the native metal ion or did they use Mn2+ for
spectroscopic/electronic properties? In most cases, you can exchange
Mn2+ with Ca2+ without a problem. For Ca2+ there are parameters.
Wouldn't that do instead of Mn2+? Maybe the protein is also available
in a Ca2+ loaded form? I would suggest finding more reading regarding
your system and the variations in experiments, and also try finding
some papers regarding simulations of Mn2+ containing systems.

Hope it helps,

Tsjerk

--
Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.