[gmx-users] calculating dielectric constant

Qiao Baofu qiaobf at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 08:30:09 CET 2006

Hi David,
Thanks for your kindly reply.
Because I am simulating a pure fluid system, I used the epsilon-r = 1in the
.mdp file.
coulombtype              = pme
rcoulomb-switch          = 0
rcoulomb                 = 1.1
; Dielectric constant (DC) for cut-off or DC of reaction field
epsilon-r                = 1

 If I don't use the Reaction-Field method, how should I use the -rpsilonRF
option? (I want to use 0. But because 0 means infinity here, I have no idea
how to use it)  I calculated dielectric constant with and without
"-esilonRF" option, please see the following results
g_dipoles -temp 425 -f md2 -s md2 -enx md2.edr
Epsilon = 826.496

g_dipoles -temp 425 -epsilonRF 1 -f md2 -s md2 -enx md2.edr
Epsilon = -2.01094

Neither result are the values what I expect. What wrong?