[gmx-users] Energy Minimization with Lipid Bilayer

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 09:46:06 CET 2006

Hi Justin,

The problem could well be caused by the waters inside the bilayer. Try
removing them. I guess that all this is a consequence of pbc.
Translating a system (centering it in the box) doesn't really change
anything, bad pbc will be bad pbc. That is to say, it's not really the
pbc that's bad, but the atoms you added may be inside the bilayer of a
periodic image of your system, and consequently mapped to the inside
of the bilayer in your original system. You have to make sure that you
don't generate any overlaps in the input. Probably the best way to
check is to run genconf right after you've added the additional
solvent. genconf -nbox 2 2 2 will copy your system two times in each
direction, allowing you to view a set of periodic images. Check for
overlaps there.

Hope it helps,

Tsjerk

Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.