[gmx-users] Inner product for two proteins eignevector trajectory

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 14:28:17 CET 2006

Hi Raja,

Now the only reason that I did (briefly) read the paper you linked,
was because the subject interested me ;) Apparently, they did not
state which subset of Ca atoms they used. However, you can only make a
comparison like that if the sets of atoms included in the selection
are the same. Otherwise, you'd have a nice example of comparing apples
and oranges in a very improper manner. You might want to contact the
authors, or determine yourself which Ca atoms correspond between the
proteins. Now, to calculate the RMSIP, you need eigenvectors of equal
length, by definition. For such analysis to make sense, you also need
correspondence between the elements of the eigenvectors, i.e. the
atoms used for the analysis have to correspond.

Please note that the article shows that 2 ns is not enough for
simulations to have converged. You really want to do better than that
(and check the cosine content of the first pc's).

Cheers,

Tsjerk