[gmx-users] indexing atoms

toma0052 toma0052 at umn.edu
Thu Nov 30 05:44:19 CET 2006

Hello,
     I am wondering about a response I got a while ago about indexing
atoms.  I am not very familiar with awk, but it seems like a fairly simple
way to search through a .gro file and find the solvent molecules with a
particular z-coordinate range, as I need for my simulation.  My question
however, concerns  implementing this into an md run.  I would like to add
an acceleration to solvent molecules that are within a certain distance
from a lipid bilayer.  However, if the solvent molecules diffuse too far
away during the md run, I no longer want them to have an acceleration.
Therefore, it appears that at every time step I need to perform a check to
see which solvent molecules are close enough to warrant an acceleration.
So, is there a way that I can incorporate the awk file such that it runs
and creates a particular index group at every time step?  If not, is there
some other way that I can check at each time step (or every several time
steps) which solvent molecules have a particular z-coordinate and give them
an acceleration?

Thank you,
Mike Tomasini