[gmx-users] Sanity error in cpp while intalling FFTW

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Tue Oct 17 13:53:34 CEST 2006

Hi,

First, since this is an FFTW-related issue you will probably get
better help by asking the FFTW authors.

Looking in config.log, the script is trying to preprocess the test
program

/* confdefs.h.  */
#define PACKAGE_NAME "fftw"
#define PACKAGE_TARNAME "fftw"
#define PACKAGE_VERSION "3.1.2"
#define PACKAGE_STRING "fftw 3.1.2"
#define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "fftw at fftw.org"
#define PACKAGE "fftw"
#define VERSION "3.1.2"
#define FFTW_SINGLE 1
#define BENCHFFT_SINGLE 1
/* end confdefs.h.  */
#ifdef __STDC__
# include <limits.h>
#else
# include <assert.h>
#endif

using the command gcc -std=gnu99 -E  conftest.c

but gets the error message

In file included from /usr/include/bits/posix1_lim.h:130,
                  from /usr/include/limits.h:144,
                  from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.3/
include/limits.h:132,
                  from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.3/
include/syslimits.h:7,
                  from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.3/
include/limits.h:11,
                  from conftest.c:13:
/usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:36:26: linux/limits.h: No such file or
directory

<limits.h> is mandatory for ANSI C99, so there is something wrong
with your operating system/compiler installation.

Cheers,

Erik