[gmx-users] plot rmsd of single atom / residue

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Tue Oct 17 18:07:07 CEST 2006

Hi,

Create an index file with (at least) two groups. One group will be
used for fitting the structures (e.g. Calpha atoms), and the other
for analysis (e.g. your single atom or residue).

Provide this index file to g_rms, select the first group when asked
for the fitting group, and the second as the group to calculate cRMS/
RMSD for.

The fitting is an integral part when calculating RMSD. If you fit a
single atom the RMSD will always be 0.0, and if you fit a residue the
RMSD will only cover internal fluctuations in that residue. Only you
can determine what you really want to fit to.

You might want to take a look at the program g_rmsf too, which
calculates the average amount of fluctuations for atoms, either
around the starting state (default), or around an average structure
you can determine e.g. with g_traj.

Cheers,

Erik