[gmx-users] Re: Simulation problem with extended membrane system!

liu xin zgxjlx at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 10:35:25 CEST 2006

Hi Chris

Thank you for your note!

According to your suggestion, I did a energy minimization and then a MDS
with "freezegrps=SOL, freezedim=N, N, Y", the rest of the system were
simulated with no constraint. This time I use semiisotropic pressure
coupling with tau_p=5. The system will be equilibrated with water
constrained for 1ns, do you think it's enough?

The reason why I want to extend the system is because that I've got a GPCR,
and I want to simulate it in a DPPC membrane environment, but the z
dimension of the membrane, downloaded from Dr. Tielman's websit,  was not
large enough, when I align the protein to the z axis of the membrane I find
the two ends of the protein are poking out of both water layers.

Back to the previous question, after solvate the lipids in water, can I
remove the water placed in the membrane with excel instead of script? Cause
with editconf we can know the z dimension of the lipids_only system, let's
say 6, so if I center the whole system with 0 0 0, the water molecules with
z coordinates below 3 and above -3 will be excluded. If I'm right, I think
excel can do it too, or the scripts have some advantages?

Thank you again