[gmx-users] RB dihedral potential query in OPLS

alokjain at iitk.ac.in alokjain at iitk.ac.in
Tue Sep 12 16:49:30 CEST 2006

hello gmx users,
                First of all thanks to Chris for his response to my
previous mail.But I still have a doubt regarding RB
potential which I would like to get clarified about.
                    I would be very thankfull if you can go through my
post (patiently) and comment on it.

one of the queries which is as follows:

"The original Ryckaert Bellemans potential is for carbon tails only (e.g.
decane, or lipids). The same potential is used in OPLS but with different
parameters in which the(scaled) pair interaction is part of the
parameterization"

http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2004-May/010500.html

Gromacs 3.3 manual along with the above mentioned statement in manual 3.2
also states that:

"Ryckaert-Bellemans potentials are also used in e.g. the OPLS force field
in combination with 1-4 interactions. You should therefore not modify
topologies generated by pdb2gmx in this case".

I presently ran a MD simulaiton of a protein solvated in water using
gromacs 3.2.1 and OPLS-AA force filed.A energy output in the log file
looks like:

           Bond          Angle    Proper Dih. Ryckaert-Bell.          LJ-14
    1.15231e+03    2.92374e+03    1.73760e+02    1.32334e+03    1.86599e+03
     Coulomb-14        LJ (SR)        LJ (LR)   Coulomb (SR)   Coulomb (LR)
    5.03326e+03    1.39004e+05   -1.66722e+03   -9.54632e+05   -5.37046e+04
      Potential    Kinetic En.   Total Energy    Temperature Pressure (bar)
   -8.58528e+05    1.57277e+05   -7.01250e+05    3.04174e+02   -4.80269e+01

So I have a Ryckaert-Bell. energy term for Proper dihedral potential.

I also have a 14 terms for LJ and Coulomd energy.

My initial impression was that once we use the RB dihedral term,we may
actually not get the 14 term in my energy profile (Manual 3.2)

But after going through the manual 3.3 and also Divid's post,I suppose
that the parameters in OPLS-AA are so defined that RB potential along with
the 14 interactions (scaled) are calculated seperately.

Is this the case?????

PS: Chris suggested me to check the [pairs] and [dihedral] entry in the
*.top (*.itp) file which I did and I found identical atoms in both the
entries which according to Chris should not be the case...So I am more
confused.

Regards.

Alok Jain.