[gmx-users] Re: Question about parallazing Gromacs (Qiao Baofu)

Cesar Araujo cesar.araujo at oulu.fi
Thu Sep 14 00:48:10 CEST 2006

Well, there is a common misconception with parallel computing. Usually, you
will have an optimun number of processors that guarantees the best
performance. More or less than that number will result in a decreased
performance and longer computation times. The optimum number of processors
will depend on the particular problem and the hardware/software
configuration of your cluster, but for instance, in my case for docking
experiments I've found that 4 cpu's is Ok. If I try to use more than 4 cpus
the performance is worst. The same is for less than 4 cpu's. You have to
find your optimum making some tests with your settings. To do that you can
start your simulation and interrupt after a while to have some data logged
in the log file. Then, from the information in that log file you can
estimate the time that the whole task will take and compare using more or
less number of processors until you find your optimum value.

I hope it helps.

Regards,
César.-