[gmx-users] problems in installing fftw-3.0.1 under cygwin

Mark Abraham mark.abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Sep 14 05:55:47 CEST 2006

> Hi gmx-users,
>
> I am trying to install gmx-3.3.1 in my laptop (os windows xp & cygwin).
> Unfortunately, I didn't succeed
> to reproduce the instructions given by Mark Abraham in April-06.
>
> In my first attempt I uninstall (erroneously?) the fftw3 & fftw3-dev
> packages
> using the Cygwin installer. When I unpack the fftw-3.0.1.tar.gz file and
> run
> the command
>
> ./configure --enable-threads --enable-sse --enable-float

You can try without --enable-threads

> g77 (21360) C:\cygwin\bin\g77.exe: *** fatal error -
> C:\cygwin\bin\g77.exe: **

> ./config.status: line 802: /usr/bin/sed: Resource temporarily unavailable

The kinds of errors you report seem to be a generic problem with your
installation of cygwin. I think the shell from which you are running may
have PATH problems, or you have a broken binutils package, or something
similarly severe that hasn't got much to do with gromacs and fftw3.

Try installing some other software (which uses configure) from source code
to see if that is successful. If not, then I'd suggest re-installing
compilers, binary utility packages and the like, and eventually, removing
and re-installing Cygwin.