[gmx-users] Re: The molecule size (jiqing)

主月 :) jiqing at iccas.ac.cn
Tue Sep 19 04:01:06 CEST 2006

Hi:
>  >
>  > Two melt models were built for polyethylene (PE) and
>  > polyvinylmethylether (PVME) melt with PBC condition .
>  >
>  > The density of both melt model agree with experimenal value well.But
>  > when one check the radius of gyration (Rg) of them, both of them were
>  > too small to accept as follows.
>  >
>  > The Rg for PE (C1000) is just 28 angstrom. It means the infinite
>  > charaterastic ratio (Cinf) for the polymer is just about 2 which is much
>  > smaller than scatter experimental value about 7.
>  >
>  > The Rg for PVME (C44) melt is about 6.6 angstrom. It means the Cinf for
>  > the polymer is just 2.5 which is much smaller than scatter experimental
>  > value 8-10.
>  >
>  > Can these results be accepted?
>  >
>  > Is there any fault in force field? gromos96a

Two things,

- maybe you need a larger systems
- maybe g_gyrate does not take periodicity into account correctly.
extract some single molecules and look at them in a viewer, or write
your own script to compute Rg.
- have you used pbc = full for the simulations?

1.The cell length about my PVME model is 4.5 nm which is big enough for a PVME chain possesses all trans conformation.

2. The Rg is anaylzed by my own program, which has been validated.

3.PBC=XYZ

> Usually a garbage result as output means that you had either garbage as
> input, or garbage for the algorithm. Find a published article that
> describes a similar simulation and adapt their method suitably.
> Otherwise describe your method more thoroughly (e.g. how large was the
> box, what ensemble did you use, equilibration regime, etc.) and maybe
> someone has some judgement they can share with you.
>
> Mark
>
> *Hi Mark:*
> *Thanks for your advise. Because the PE model is built by one of my
> officemate, i did not konw its details.*
> **
> *The cell length about my PVME model is 4.5 nm which is big enough for a
> PVME chain possesses all trans conformation. The ensemble is NVT with
> the control file Pcoupl = no after 10ns NPT simulation to reach the
> experimental density. The runtime for NVT is 5ns from which the relax
> time for end to end vector is anaylzed. The relax time  is about 1ns. So
> i think the system has been relaxed enough.*
> **
> *Is there any error in my process?*
> **
> *Maybe the residue parameter for PVME is also needed for discuss. They are:*

[ VME ]
[ atoms ]
;   atom     type    charge  cgnr CN   Gasteiger
     CAB   CH1     0.142     1  ;      CN
     CAA   CH2     0.035     1  ;      CN
     OAD    OE    -0.352     1  ;      CN
     CAC   CH3     0.174     1  ;      CN