[gmx-users] Re: protein unstable for parallel job while stable for serial one

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 23:30:51 CEST 2006

Hi Akansha (and Mark),

The approach taken is indeed sensible, and in addition to that I fully
support the comments made by Mark. It's actually part of what I meant,
changing the number of processors gives you a difference between your
simulations. However, it should not give you a consistent difference.
That is, if you perform, say 100 simulations on 1 processor and 100 on
16, the results from one set should be similar to those obtained from
the other. In casu, you should observe the conformational change
approximately an equal number of times. The same would hold for full
convergence of your system. In that case, the number of transitions
(folding/unfolding, conformational change) should be approximately
equal over a certain time and have the same rate, duration, etc.
You'll only be able to get that for small systems.

It is possible that the division over multiple processors introduces
some artefacts, which was in fact found by Jelger Risselada some while
ago (you can check the mailinglist archive). But I think this bug was
fixed. You might be able to detect such a consistent effect in the
results if you perform say five simulations on 1 processor and five on
16 processors, using different starting velocities.

I hope this helps you a bit further.

Best regards,

Tsjerk