[gmx-users] 1-4 columb interaction

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Wed Sep 20 22:35:06 CEST 2006

You are right that the LJ fudge values don't get applied if
gen-pairs=no. However, FudgeQQ is always applied. However, one would
hope that Qiao was correct and the main .itp files at least list the
correct scaling of LJ 1-4 interactions. Force fields that use
gen-pairs=no explicitly list 1-4 LJ parameters in the pairtypes
section. This appears to be the case in the gromos96 force field. For
example,

[ nonbond_params ]
; i    j func          c6           c12
       OM        O  1  0.0022619536  7.4149321e-07
[ pairtypes ]
; i    j func          c6           c12
       OM        O  1  0.0022619536  7.4149321e-07

So a 1-4 (pairtypes) and a 1->5 or nonbonded LJ are going to be the same.

The treatment of 1-4 interactions is quite well described in the
gromacs manual.