[gmx-users] Timestep

Xavier Periole X.Periole at rug.nl
Tue Aug 7 20:30:45 CEST 2007

It is not possible to answer your question from the information you give.
A lot of things can cause a segmentation fault. From compilation to
your particular system. Put a search on the user-list, you'll get an idea
of possible problems.

It depends what you will be looking at but I would suggest to stick
to a 2 fs time step.

XAvier

>  Thanks to Xavier for his prompt reply..
>
>  Actually my objective is a bit longer[50-60ns] but the problem is that
> even if i cant change the time-step to 0.003 it is exiting saying
> segmentation fault then how is it possible with 1fs [or 4 fs as
> suggested] which i want to do to reduce time.
>  I wanted to know where the problem is... why cant i increase the time
> step and the only error shown is 'segmentation fault'..so is the reason
> in compilation or coding or machine precision or is it with molecular
> system wise thats what i was trying to understand..
>
> Thanks again..
> Ramya.
>

>> 10 ns of a solvated protein of regular size should not require much
>> computing time.
>>
>> Increasing the time-step above 2 fs is a solution to increase the
>> speed of the run but then you face the problem of not integrating
>> the fast movement correctly and this can end up in large forces
>> and then you run crashes.
>> You could use dummy hydrogens (see manual) and heavy water and
>> use a 4 fs time step. This is ok for a simple protein in a box
>> of water.
>>
>> But again 10ns of a protein solvated is not a long simulation.
>>
>> XAvier
>>>
>>>    I am trying to perform a simulation run of 10ns for my system
>>> [protein+waterbox].The system works fine if i use timestep[dt=0.002
>>> fs].   To balance the run time and time-consumption, when we try a
>>> .mdp file with slight increase of timestep i.e., to 0.003 fs; grompp
>>> works fine and generates input tpr, but when going further with mdrun,
>>> the program crashes, giving error:
>>>     "Segmentation Fault"
>>>
>>> So i have to increase the number of steps[nsteps] to achieve required
>>> run
>>> time.But this'll be time consuming.I am unable to figure out any