[gmx-users] dummy atom definition prob in FEP

Maik Goette mgoette at mpi-bpc.mpg.de
Wed Aug 8 11:00:53 CEST 2007

Friend...

What are you trying to do???
If you want to do standard FEP with growing something into dummy (NOT
virtual site) or from dummy, you must not use virtual sites!
Virtual sites in fact, have no mass; neither in A- nor in B-state.
Please read the fManual about virtual particles, their usage and why
they exist in GROMACS (hint, delocalized charge)....

As far as I know, you can't morph a virtual site to a real particle. I
also think, It wouldn't make much sense, though.

If you want to morph away e.g. a proton, define a dummy in the b-state,
which has no LJ parameters (eps and sigma=0) and no charge, but still
the original mass.

Regards

Maik Goette, Dipl. Biol.
Theoretical & computational biophysics department
Am Fassberg 11
37077 Goettingen
Germany
Tel.  : ++49 551 201 2310