[gmx-users] Mutagenesis

Maik Goette mgoette at mpi-bpc.mpg.de
Wed Aug 8 11:25:12 CEST 2007

Hi

The question arises, is "physically acceptance" equal to "biological
reality" and the answer is (with reasonable probability) no.

What I suppose, you want to do is calculating the affinity difference
(free energy difference) for binding of a slab of DNA to a protein with
"mutated" aminoacids.
Therefore you will calculate via TI or so the difference in free energy
of two states, where A is the one with the original AA and B with the
"mutated" AA. With GROMACS, you can morph between these states and
calculate the DeltaG.
To get the atoms of the B-state positioned correctly, you may setup a
library of your AAs and fit the backbone atoms to the BB-atoms of the
original one. Then you have more or less reasonable positions for you
B-state side-chain atoms. Afterwards have a look which side chain atoms
of the B-state AA you really have to grow and afterwards start the sim.
Which kind of TI one should use is hard to say, but I'd suggest discrete
TI (not slow growth), because your B-state has the time to equilibrate
(more or less) properly.....

If all this is feasible, one probably can't answer. At last, that's the
best one can do....and, btw., expect to invest some time to get this
working.

Hope, this helps.

Regards

Maik Goette, Dipl. Biol.
Theoretical & computational biophysics department
Am Fassberg 11
37077 Goettingen
Germany
Tel.  : ++49 551 201 2310