[gmx-users] doing simplest simulations

Nicolas Schmidt nicolas-schmidt at gmx.de
Fri Aug 10 21:12:19 CEST 2007

Hi again,

I re-did my simulations with the posted .mdp-file. The huge differences
to my formerly posted file are a few vanished semicolons, and after a
fine simulation-run an added dispersion correction  due to a pressure
that was slightly higher than expected. Did't really help, made it
worse. But at least the simulations are now at the speed I expected them
to be (gromacs doesen't scale that beautiful under my configuration, any
suggestions???).

Anyhow, two further questions:

First: Is the configuration with r_list = r_vdw and nst_list = 1 a good
choice, especially regarding speed? Suggestions?
(I caught a glimpse at the archives of this forum and couldn't quite
find out why the radius of the neighbour-list has to be smaller than
r_vdw, isn't that list something similar to the verlet-neighbour-lists?
Shouldn't it therefore be bigger? But in this case I'm just curious...)

Second: Am I simulating fixed connections? Are my chosen options on the
.mdp-file therefor correct? Is gromacs doing as less as possible? Got
sometimes at simulations with higher density complains 'bout
constraints. Have I chosen the right configuration in the .itp-file?

to Mark:

Nope, no warnings, posted this time the output-file as well. But I
can't  write bigger gro-files (gromacs'complaining something like "can't
allocate memory"). But this isn't a that big problem for me, 125000
molecules are sufficient.

I wanna simulate as fast as possible with only reasonable results, so
I'm unsure why I should use anymore options.

I'm T-coupling at 183K cause I want my bulk at this temperature. No more
reason. And by doing so (along the annealing) I'm simulating a
nucleation-process. Works fine for me.

Considering the missing equilibration: My first posted file missed the
vanished semicolons at the annealing, posted not the most recent file,
my bad, sorry. The simulation-results still were rubbish. And now they
are more or less fine (slightly higher pressure, 5.9 instead of 4.6
bar), of course I'm only measuring at the end of my siimulation run.
Changed the thermostat and r_list, so maybe that was the problem.

Thanks anyway and in advance

Nicolas