[gmx-users] Suggestion needed for new workstation

Yang Ye leafyoung at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 11 05:51:54 CEST 2007

On 8/10/2007 3:29 PM, Martin Höfling wrote:
> ~5000€
>
> Well depending on the available infrastructure, a "cheap" workstation for 800€
> will do the job. Then you have 4200€ remaining to buy compute bricks. You
> should definitely get more than 4 cores from this ammount.

Yes. I agree with you. If we can afford to do something like google:
running bare-bone computer with just motherboard+CPU+RAM+HD on racks
with good air ventilation, we can save much. But our IT guys want nice
cabinates.
>> Any suggestions or comments?
>>

> Yepp, plz comment my comments, since we're planing to by additional compute
> nodes.
> ATM, we're thinking about 8-way opteron nodes with barcelona core, if it is
> available.

Yes. This is a good choice especially you only have GB Ethernet
connection. The only shortcoming of Barcelona is how long AMD need to
push it to 3.0GHz. 2007Q4? Not sure.