[gmx-users] GAP parameter

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Aug 17 00:00:26 CEST 2007

Osmair Vital de Oliveira wrote:
> Dear Mark,
>
> Thank you for the helpful!!. For instance, I have been working with
> molecular dynamics simulation using gromacs for five years...
> Therefore, my ask is an thoughtful question. Contrary with your
> answer..

You didn't technically ask a question :-) In order to maximise your
chances of getting free help, you don't need to be ingratiating, but you
should be trying to show respect for your readers' time and expertise by
expressing yourself clearly. An email like

"Hi, I've been doing molecular dynamics with GROMACS for five years and
want to simulate system <xxx>. I know I could generate a topology for
D-glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate for forcefield <yyy> by hand, but was
wondering whether anybody in the GROMACS community has one already
they'd be willing to share?"

Now people know exactly what you want and why, and might answer

"Yes, but only for forcefield <zzz>"

"No, and by the way, forcefield <qqq> might be superior for <technical
reasons>"

"No, but <vvv> published a simulation in journal <www> with a similar
molecule and you could try contacting them"

"No, but you could check out
http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Steps_to_Perform_a_Simulation and
http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Parameterization for some advice on
generating topologies."

... and they'd be more motivated to give such thoughtful help if they
get a thoughtful question.

Cheers :-)

Mark