[gmx-users] Ionic liquids

Jones de Andrade johannesrs at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 07:51:27 CEST 2007

Hi.

I would not agree with the fact that the approach isn't good.

The dialkylimidazolium cation class has a lot of interest on it, which
leaded to the development of force field for them rather than others.

It doesn't mean that there isn't force field for the [EtNH3]+ [NO3]- IL, but
means that there is no obvious reason for someone avoid those ions at a
first glance.

But, in fact, one should avoid the chlorine as counter-ion because it leads
to ILs with a slight larger melting point. There are better options.

On the other hand, a lot depends on the literature. I would expect that
there would be more studies for the interaction of enzimes with
dialkylimidazolium cation based ILs than any other class. BUT, I can be
deadly wrong on this point.

Back to the beggining: having 10 thousand water molecules, with 3 atoms only
and usually rigid, is much simpler than 10 thousand cations with about 25
atoms in a fully flexible structure, in a box which *must* have the same
number of countercharges, with anions of at least 5 atoms (which can
sometimes be made rigid). The computational cost of such a simulation would
rise in a amazingly way when compared to usual aqueous simulations.

Best regards and good luck!

Sincerally yours,

Jones