[gmx-users] RF excl and protein/water potential energies

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 29 11:19:48 CEST 2007

>From: pascal.baillod at epfl.ch
>To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
>Subject: [gmx-users] RF excl and protein/water potential energies
>Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:09:10 +0200 (MEST)
>
>Dear community,
>
>I am trying to separate potential energy contributions coming from the
>protein
>and from water in my solvated protein system.
>
>Dose anybody know if the term "RF excl" can be computed / written
>separately
>for protein / water atoms? I would be interested in the "RF excl"
>contributions
>coming from the protein only.. Are there RF-excl corrections for
>intra-molecular
>water atom interactions also, or are they limited to the "1-4" interactions
>of
>the protein? In the first case, I guess they would not be counted anyway,
>with
>my rigid SPC water?
>
>Thanks for any info!
>
>Pascal

With reaction-field any term can not be assigned to any pair of
atoms/groups,
since reaction-field electrostatics includes a term for the reaction of the
part
of the system outside the cut-off. This is especially apparent in the
exclusion
term which even applies to the "interaction of a single charge with itself"
(see the manual), which is of course the interaction of a single charge with
the dielectric medium outside the cut-off.

It is usually anyhow meaningless to split energy contributions, since
theprotein
will influence the water conformation and vice versa and therefore the
contributions
are never independent.

Berk.