[gmx-users] Alpha-Helix Dipole

gtroiano at if.usp.br gtroiano at if.usp.br
Fri Aug 31 11:12:29 CEST 2007

 Hi David,

 I tried to use the option -mutot in g_energy, but all I get is the component
dipoles. They match what I've got in the file Mtot.xvg from g_dipoles, which is
really high (for all the system: water+ polyala helix, fluctuates between 100
and 300 D), but in adip.xvg (the average) the value in each time is very low
(around 2.3 D). The index file contains only the standard options (protein,
SOL, backbone, etc..) and when I try to select backbone (e.g. in g_dipoles) it
gives the fatal error: "The index group is not a set of whole molecules". Why
is the Mtot like this and what exactly does the average mean?
 Anyway, thanks for all the guidance, it helped a lot! I tried to make it
objective now and this is the last question I send you, for not wasting your
time! If I can't conclude anything, can you send me any reference, or some
exercises which I could compare some results and see if what I'm doing is right
or what to expect from the dipole calculation?  (I think that the structures are
ok for the QM, but just I wanted to confirm if that situation is the closest
that we have for the helix in water)

 Thank you very much (sorry if any of the questions seemed stupid!)
 Gustavo