[gmx-users] Coarse-graining and tabulated non-bonded potentials- will write

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 3 16:59:49 CET 2007

>From: Steven Kirk <Steven.Kirk at hv.se>
>To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
>Subject: RE: [gmx-users] Coarse-graining and tabulated non-bonded
>potentials- will write
>Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 16:17:03 +0100
>
>Berk Hess kindly answered my original query below. I have some more
>questions that might be of general interest to the list, so I'm conducting
>another step of the conversation in the list.
>-----
>Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 14:18:36 +0100
>From: "Berk Hess" <gmx3 at hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: [gmx-users] Coarse-graining and tabulated non-bonded
>	potentials -	will write
>To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
>
>>>From: Steven Kirk <Steven.Kirk at hv.se>
>>>To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
>>>Subject: [gmx-users] Coarse-graining and tabulated non-bonded potentials
>>>- will write up on the wiki
>>>Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:57:37 +0100
>>>
>>>Hello all,
>>>
>>>Firstly, many thanks to everyone who has contributed useful advice to me
>>>over a number of years using GROMACS.
>>>
>>>I have performed a large number of potential of mean force calculations
>>>for the forces acting between two approximately spherical amorphous
>>>silica particles (various sizes < 5 nm diameter) in TIP4P water with PME
>>>electrostatics and varying concentrations of background ions.
>>>
>>>Now I want to 'coarse-grain' the simulation, treating each silica
>>>particle as a single point mass, and use the interaction potential
>>>between the particles obtained from the PMF results as a tabulated
>>>potential in mdrun, to allow longer time- and size-scales to be
>>>investigated (I want to examine colloidal aggregation behaviour of these
>>>particles).
>>>
>>>I have tabulated the PMF potential and its derivatives as a function of
>>>centre-of-mass separation of the particles as suggested in the manual
>>>(but I can only tabulate for COM-COM distances greater than the contact
>>>distance [ = 2r in the hard-sphere approximation] out to some cutoff).
>>>Will I have to add a short-distance 'hard-sphere' wall to my tabulated
>>>potentials?
>>
>>I don't really understand the issue here.
>>You (would) also directly get the repulsive part of the PMF from a
>>constraint
>>simulation. I assume that you mean that you have not done simulations
>>to obtain the PMF at shorter distances?
>>If not, just do so.
>
>Yes, I have calculated the PMF at shorter distances, and it becomes
>repulsive at shorter distances.
>
>My confusion was caused by my uncertainty as to what should be in the
>tabulated potential file for very short distances (tabulated potentials
>must be tabulated for distances r >= 0, even if I only have real tabulated
>potential data from some r_min (>0) upward). A quick check of the example
>'table6-9.xvg' file for the directory referenced in the standard GROMACS
>distribution using the environment variable GMXLIB has shown me that I can
> [...]

If there are important dipole contributions, the best thing is to implement
dipoles in the coarse-grained model. You would then explicitly take the most
important multi-body contributions into account.
But with explicit dipoles you can no longer directly use the PMF for your
coarse-grained simulations. You will have to subtract the dipole-dipole
interactions of the coarse-grained model to avoid double counting.
If this is a simple dipole-dipole term. you can analytically determine
the (Boltzmann averaged) dipole-dipole interaction to the PMF
of the coarse-grained model

Berk.