[gmx-users] Gel Phase in DMPC using Berger force field ??

Jochen Hub jhub at gwdg.de
Mon Dec 10 16:50:34 CET 2007

Hi,

does anyone know whether the Berger force field for DMPC lipids can
reproduce a gel phase? I didn't really find anything in the literature.
I sumulated a patch of 128 lipids (with 7 water molecules per lipid) at
278 K for 50ns. The lipid chains seem a little more ordered than at,
say, 300K, but they are not really stretched as one would expect in the
gel phase.

Does anyone have experience with that issue? Should I try an even lower
temperature or less/more water or a larger box? Or is the Berger force
field not parametrized to reproduce the gel phase at all?

Thanks at lot,
Jochen

Jochen Hub
Computational biomolecular dynamics group
Am Fassberg 11
D-37077 Goettingen, Germany
Email: jhub[at]gwdg.de