[gmx-users] Methanol SOL :Number of solventmolecules = 0

sharada sharada at ccmb.res.in
Wed Dec 12 13:04:36 CET 2007

Dear Dr. Xavier Periole,
Thank you for guiding me through. I could solve the problem of setting up the system for minimization. However  When  started minimization run for 2000 steps with steepest descent , I encountered yet another problem. which is as follows ..
Methanol optimization:
Started Steepest Descents on node 0 Tue Dec 11 17:48:57 2007
Removing pbc first time
Done rmpbc
Steepest Descents:
   Tolerance (Fmax)   =  1.00000e+01
   Number of steps    =         2000
Grid: 4 x 5 x 4 cells
calc_bor: cg0=0, cg1=553, ncg=553
CG0[0]=0, CG1[0]=553
CG0[1]=0, CG1[1]=0
calc_bor: cg0=0, cg1=553, ncg=553
CG0[0]=0, CG1[0]=553
CG0[1]=0, CG1[1]=0
Configuring nonbonded kernels...
Testing AMD 3DNow support... not present.
Testing ia32 SSE support... present.
Step           Time         Lambda
              0        0.00000        0.00000
calc_bor: cg0=0, cg1=553, ncg=553
CG0[0]=0, CG1[0]=553
CG0[1]=0, CG1[1]=0
Program mdrun, VERSION 3.3
Source code file: nsgrid.c, line: 226
Range checking error:
Explanation: During neighborsearching, we assign each particle to a grid
based on its coordinates. If your system contains collisions or parameter
errors that give particles very high velocities you might end up with some
coordinates being +-Infinity or NaN (not-a-number). Obviously, we cannot
put these on a grid, so this is usually where we detect those errors.
Make sure your system is properly energy-minimized and that the potential
energy seems reasonable before trying again.
Variable ci has value -2147483648. It should have been within [ 0 .. 80 ]
Please report this to the mailing list (gmx-users at gromacs.org)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now where do I go from here? Its asking me to energy minimize the system which is what I am trying to do ! What is this ci value and why is it so high? Kindly help me I am once again stuck.  Furthermore, when I minimized  the same peptide in SPC216 water box of 1108 water molecules for 2000 steps this error did not appear. When I compared the md.log files in both the cases I found that in case of water optimization of SPC water was enabled where as this line for methanol was missing which  should mean that the energies are shooting off  scale is that right ? Should I optimize my system in vacuo before simmulating in methanol?
Water optimization:
{Generated table with 500 data points for 1-4 LJ12.
Tabscale = 500 points/nm
Enabling SPC water optimization for 1108 molecules.
Initiating Steepest Descents
Center of mass motion removal mode is Linear
We have the following groups for center of mass motion removal:
  0:  rest, initial mass: 3396
Started Steepest Descents on node 0 Wed Dec 12 15:52:11 2007
Removing pbc first time
Done rmpbc
Steepest Descents:
   Tolerance (Fmax)   =  1.00000e+01
   Number of steps    =         2000
Going to use C-settle (1108 waters)
wo = 0.333333, wh =0.333333, wohh = 3, rc = 0.08165, ra = 0.0384897
rb = 0.0192449, rc2 = 0.1633, rone = 1, dHH = 0.1633, dOH = 0.1
Grid: 4 x 5 x 4 cells}
regards
sharada