[gmx-users] Re: Diagnosing an explosion

Steven Kirk Steven.Kirk at hv.se
Wed Dec 12 17:53:47 CET 2007

Apologies for replying to myself - maybe I can sharpen up some of my
original questions below:

> Reply below

>> > Looks like you are using dimensionless eps and sigma while using
>> > otherwise MD units (e.g. T). Check chapter 2 of the manual. You want to
>> > multiply your T by boltz (0.008314 or something like that) probably.
>
> Aha! Thank you David.
>
> My goal was to use MD units in everything, since my tabulated data file
> was extracted from another GROMACS simulation and is hence already in MD
> units (kJ/mol vs. nm), and I would prefer to specify temperatures in K.
>
> My reason for specifying 1.0 for the last two parameters was that I
> thought this would allow me to use, unscaled, the tabulated potential
> (which is already in MD units).
>
> If I want to do this, what alternative values should I use for the last
> two parameters on the [ atomtypes ] line above (given that I am really
> only using the g(r) and g''(r) columns to hold my potential data: the
> h(r) and h''(r), which I don't care about, are all zeroes) ?

If I change the combination type to 2 or 3 in the  [ defaults ] line,
will this remove the unit scaling problem ?

> I have checked Chapter 2 in the manual and I am still unsure how to
> handle this.
>
> I took your advice (which matches with manual Section 2.4 on *reduced*
> units) and scaled my temperature to 2.494353 =  300K * 0.008314. This
> did not give a crash, but increasing the timestep and decreasing bd_fric
> made the problem return.
>
> Scaling the temperature value in this way did not fix the 'equilibration
> around 2x requested temperature' problem mentioned below - g_energy
> still shows the temperature settling at a numerical value around 4.988.

Can anyone suggest a reason for this strange thermostat behaviour ?

Many thanks,
Steve Kirk

--
Dr. Steven R. Kirk           <Steven.Kirk at hv.se, S.R.Kirk at physics.org>
Dept. of Technology, Mathematics & Computer Science  (P)+46 520 223215