[gmx-users] Inconsistent shifts.

Mitchell Stanton-Cook s4026869 at student.uq.edu.au
Tue Dec 18 09:00:43 CET 2007

Hi David,

Using GMX3.2.2 unfortunately introduces more problems. See my message on
the 10/08/2007. I recently came across a post suggesting this is due to
a error in Reaction Field, however I believe that this problem me be a
little deeper.

I have come across inconsistent shifts before - it corresponds to when
the metal ion crosses a PBC. I think the conclusion I came to last time
after some investigation was that I should not worry? Do these
inconsistent shifts affect my simulations ? However, this time I am a
little uncertain. Partly due -

Distance restraints were used to co-ordinate the metal ion. I also
created a pseudo-bond between the metal ion and a single co-ordinating
residue. This was due to what I believe to be a problem in the
orientation restraints code. I found that when the metal crossed the PBC
the orientation tensor "both grew and fluctuated" by large orders of
magnitude. I concluded that this was due to PBC not being handled
correctly. Since the introduction of the pseudo-bond there have been no
problems. Given that the metal ion is now by definition part of the
protein, PBC should not be an issue and I should not be seeing
inconsistent shifts?

Cheers

Mitch