[gmx-users] What is the box type of output files?

Lam Nguyen Sy thelord_voldemort at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 2 23:26:33 CEST 2007

Thank you very much, it is very helpful for me.

nslam

Yang Ye <leafyoung at yahoo.com> wrote: On 7/3/2007 2:24 AM, Lam Nguyen Sy wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am new to Gromacs, and I am trying to simulate my
> systems with octahedral box type (the option I used
> for editconf was "-bt octahedral").
> I need to know what type of box that Gromacs put the
> output systems in, because I am trying to do some
> translations on some molecules that are outside the
> box to put them inside, so that I can correctly
> compute the number of contacts.
> When using VMD to visualize some output .gro or .pdb
> files, I just saw a rectangular box. Furthermore, it
> is said on page 12 of the GROMACS User Manual version
> 3.3 that "Even when simulating using a triclinic box,
> GROMACS always puts the particles in a brick shaped
> volume, for efficiency reason" and "So from the output
> trajectory it might seem like the simulation was done
> in a rectangular box." I am not clear on this point.
> There is a series of numbers at the end of my .gro
> files:
> 4.12763   3.89157   3.37019   0.00000   0.00000
> 1.37588   0.00000  -1.37588   1.94578
> I guess they are the components of the box vectors.

Gromacs always output the type of box you have choosen. Because VMD
doesn't support octahedral-type of box, it simply read the first three
numbers and set them for x-, y-, and z-dimensions. You need to use
"trjconv -ur compact -pbc atom" to convert your trajectory as well as
your gro or pdb file to get them correctly displayed.