[gmx-users] Topology builder

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Wed Jul 4 16:10:14 CEST 2007

Hi,

There are a couple of programs out there (e.g. Macromodel) that tries
to do this, even for OPLS, but they fail miserably way too
frequently. I've even seen cases where the autogenerated topology was
reported as "likely high quality", but the small molecule didn't even
have unit charge and the atom types were simply not correct.

Having said that, this functionality is implemented in the x2top
tool, but you might need to extend the databases and/or hack it a
bit.  If you really want to do it without even checking the
topologies I would prefer a simpler forcefield like Gromos96 over
OPLS, though (fewer atom types mean less errors).

Cheers,

Erik