[gmx-users] Runtime need of cpp.exe

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Wed Jul 18 11:42:12 CEST 2007

Hi,

> Can we use other (native windows) c preprocessor ?
As it says explicitly in the manual, you can use any preprocessor you
want. The default force fields have #include and #define statements
meant for a C preprocessor, but it's just a matter of pushing the
input files through the specified preprocessor, whatever it might be.

However, last time I checked windows didn't ship with a default C
preprocessor, so you'd have to install MSVC just for using grompp.
It's also a proprietary product that you are not allowed to copy e.g.
on cluster nodes, not to mention Microsoft would probably get upset
if you made it available for download.

Cheers,

Erik