[gmx-users] dissociative water models

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Jul 26 09:49:51 CEST 2007

26 jul 2007 kl. 07.55 skrev Mark Abraham:

> There's been some discussion lately on dissociative water models,
> and I saw this paper http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp072530o, which may
> be of interest to some people.
>
> Dissociative Water Potential for Molecular Dynamics Simulations
> T. S. Mahadevan and S. H. Garofalini*
> J. Phys. Chem. B; 2007; ASAP Web Release Date: 30-Jun-2007
>
> A new interatomic potential for dissociative water was developed
> for use in molecular dynamics simulations. The simulations use a
> multibody potential, with both pair and three-body terms, and the
> Wolf summation method for the long-range Coulomb interactions. A
> major feature in the potential is the change in the short-range O-H
> repulsive interaction as a function of temperature and/or pressure
> in order to reproduce the density-temperature curve between 273 K
> and 373 at 1 atm, as well as high-pressure data at various
> temperatures. Using only the change in this one parameter, the
> simulations also reproduce room-temperature properties of water,
> such as the structure, cohesive energy, diffusion constant, and
> vibrational spectrum, as well as the liquid-vapor coexistence
> curve. Although the water molecules could dissociate, no
> dissociation is observed at room temperature. However, behavior of
> the hydronium ion was studied by introduction of an extra H+ into a
> cluster of water molecules. Both Eigen and Zundel configurations,
> as well as more complex configurations, are observed in the
> migration of the hydronium.

Yeah. I read it a few days ago. If I remember correctly, it is
parameterized for 0.1fs timesteps and uses three-body terms. The
former makes me think twice before using it for large systems such as
protein simulations, and the latter makes it computationally
expensive I presume. Futhermore, it uses T- and P dependent terms to
adjust the potential, which just from the top of my head seems to
limit its usefulness for heterogeneous systems. Still, it could be
interesting for some applications.

/Erik