[gmx-users] master node dilema

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Sat Mar 3 14:22:10 CET 2007

Hi,

On Mar 3, 2007, at 10:53 AM, aneamtu at iasi.mednet.ro wrote:

> Dear GROMACS users,
>
> We are about to aquire a Dell cluster on which GROMACS will be
> running (Compute nodes: 8 servers - dual Opteron dual core = 32
> compute cores, Infiniband Interconect).
> There are two choises for the master node - as usualy one less
> expensive, one more expensive:
> - 2x Opteron 8214 dual core 2.2 GHz
> or
> - 4x Opteron 8214 dual core 2.2 GHz
> My question is wether I can use 2 Opterons on master node or this
> will affect the performance and I have to use the second option
> with 4 Opterons. Or say it like this: does the master node affect
> the cluster performace for this small number of nodes?

A dual dual-core should be fine - the batch system and scheduler
isn't really resource intensive. The biggest problem is usually when
users run jobs on the login node.

> The second question is if you think there will be a significant
> improvment of performace if I switch from Opteron 2.4 GHz to
> Opteron 2.8 GHz ?

It will scale more or less with the frequency.

However, you should be aware that right now you will get
_significantly_ (~40%) better Gromacs performance from Intel Core2
CPUs like woodcrest or clovertown compared to the AMDs. Intel has a
128 SSE bus which AMD won't introduce until this fall.

Cheers,

Erik