[gmx-users] vacuum right but melt collapse

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 11:38:07 CET 2007

Hi Kitty,

Your english is quite ok.., no need to worry about that too much.
Earlier remarks to someone else also had to do more with poor grammar
structure, making it very hard to follow the question.

First, if I didn't make it clear enough, you have to find the papers
from Jorgenson about the OPLS force field.

Second, the thing with parameterization of force fields is this: a set
of parameters is derived to obtain a good fit of the simulation
behaviour to experimentally or ab initio derived data. If a force
field is parameterized taking only interactions into account within a
sphere of a certain radius, than the fit between the behaviour
obtained with these parameters and the desired behaviour will worsen
if each particle suddenly "sees" particles it wasn't supposed to see.
This particularly applies to C6/C12 Lennard-Jones parameters.
Now if it doesn't become clear to you, please read about force fields
and force field development. That is a vital part of molecular
dynamics simulations, and I wouldn't recommend doing simulations, if
you don't have a basic understanding of these things.

Although highly relevant to your work, I do think that there more
fundamental problems underlying your initial question posted. Changing
the cut-off shouldn't really make the difference between explosion and
proper behaviour.

Cheers,

Tsjerk